Monday, March 12, 2007

PHENOMENAL CHICKEN SOUP

A friend of mine has raved about this chicken soup recipe that we recieved at a Taste of Home conference we went to about a year ago. She calls a lot of recipes "phenomenal", so I put it on the back burner and didn't try it out till recently. It is phenomenal!!!! It's the perfect meal for Spring I think, because it's warm and filling while giving you a taste of all the yummy fresh produce around the corner.

Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup

4 corn tortillas (6 inches)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in to 1-inch strips
2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 can (11oz) while kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
1 cup chuncky salsa
1 tablespoon chopped frest cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Cut corn tortillas into thin strips can palce on baking sheet. pary with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes or until golden.
Meanwhile, coat saucepan with cooking pray and heat over medium-high heat 1 minute. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, stirrling often. Add broth, cumin, and rice. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes. Stir in corn, salsa, cilantro, and lime juice, heat through. Top with tortilla strips.
YIELD 6 serving

We only get 4 servings out of the soup. We like it a lot and eat a lot. :) I change a couple things when making the soup. I use a regular can of corn and add fresh chopped peppers with the rice to cook them. I also double the amount of lime juice. Both Terran and I like lime flavor. I've also been playing with the idea of adding some black beans next time I make it. It's a yummy, yummy soup with lots of room for your own tastes.

Have fun,

Naomi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naomi, Because of my allery to corn I had to use peas instead of the corn and leave off the tortilla, but the recipe was still VERY good. I learn so much from you. Much love, Mom