Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Flop

I love cooking!! Usually what I try turns out ok, not always great, but pretty good. We are celebrating Thanksgiving Friday (tomorrow) with Terran's family, so today T & I went hiking, had yummy pork tenderloin for dinner, and I worked on a cake I asked to bring to our dinner.

I have been drooling over this cake since I saw it on the cover on Bon Appetit Magazine. It definitely is a cake that needs to be shared. What better occasion than a family dinner? None that I can think of until I made the cake. It's a good thing that someone else is bringing pies.



Here's what has been tempting me all month. It's a devil's food cake with chocolate ganache filling and white chocolate peppermint cream in the center. The outer frosting is marshmallow peppermint. It sounds sooo yummy to me. I know it's a bit of a Christmas cake, but Christmas is already such a sweet holiday and I really wanted to enjoy this.

This is my cake!!! Please don't laugh, because I might hear you and start crying.





I have no idea what happened. The whole cake fell apart and frosting billowed out of it.


The first idea was to cover it with the marshmellow frosting and call it good. It would take a lot of frosting to fix this and even then....?


Finally out of desperation I just tore the whole thing apart and...


made a trifle. Lets hope it tastes good. :)

Picking up the pieces,

Naomi

7 comments:

M.R. Tumnus said...

Yummy - looks fantastic, what you did with your "flop" Naomi was brilliant. This type of disappointment happened to me with Cherie's first birthday cake - a lovely 12 egg hazelnut torte affair but I was able to still serve the crooked dessert. Smart to think of trifle! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Naomi said...

Ahh, thanks. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Your cake sounds yummy too. I love hazelnuts :)Have a wonderful day Aunt Judy. !

lil said...

Actually, it almost looks BETTER!! Can hardly wait to taste it!! Thanks Naomi, for all the 'heartache' you went thru to satisfy your fam. =)
I've totally had the same thing happen to me, but the eaters enjoy it anyway.

Anonymous said...

Dear One!! I know it was yummy just the way you brought it to the family. I don't know if I ever told you of my first pineapple torte. It called for 6 eggs. I made so many mistakes I used 18 :(. Not only that our gas stove needed to be turned up to 500 degrees to be turned on. I forgot to turn it down. Needless to say the first cake couldn't be eaten. Hugs and much love, Mom

Taxi Driver said...

Noms, thanks so much for not calling it quits. That was the most beautiful and amazing cake yesterday. And now you get to hand yourself a kudo for creative representation as well.
Thanks for bringing it!
-TL

heidi said...

oh naomi, please forgive me but i have tears running down my cheeks from laughing so hard! somewhere, in the archives of photos from my newly married days, is a picture of a cake that looks EXACTLY like yours!! and of course it was a cake that i had planned on bringing to a christmas party, not just one we were going to enjoy at home. you are terribly clever to make it into a trifle; i think i just kept apologizing for mine all evening :) thanks for the laughter!

The Reitsma Family said...

Naomi, thanks for sharing your cake with us. I have to admit too, that I got a small chuckle out of it - but it still looked and sounded very good and I love that you put it in a trifle, seriously - that is brilliant!