Monday, January 16, 2006

housekeeping nemsis

I've been surfing the net this morning trying to find out information on turnips, my new favorite snack, renewing library items, and realized I need to catch up on my blogging. So here I am.

I think each housekeeper has a housekeeping nemesis. For some it may be dusting, others ironing. What about vacuuming or washing windows? Mine happens to be paper. My house is clean and I try to keep it fairly tidy, until you take a closer look. You will see little piles of paper tucked in a corner on this shelf, or lain in neatly stacked piles on the desk, or tucked discretely in a file drawer where they should be in files not just laying in the bottom of the drawer.
You might wonder how many papers can we have in our house. Lots!!! I get scared to throw papers away because you never know when you might need it. I have no problem with throwing away junk mail, but receipts, any type of bill, and any thing I think we might need, or will one day be of interest I don't like to get rid of. What if I need it tomorrow and I throw it away today?
You'd think after working in a library for five years and knowing the Dewey Decimal system inside out, shelving books by author, title, and then publication date I'd have no problem filing phone bills. Or after maintaining client files at an attorney's office it'd be no big deal to sort through receipts and know the ones to keep and to throw away.
Since the beginning of this year I have been spending an hour each day working on my piles. I wouldn't call this a New Years resolution, since I've made some type of similar resolution every couple monthes for the last 4 1/2 years. But I'm hoping this time to overcome my nemesis, and be able to find the bill for the car parts we bought two years ago in the car file under 2004 if it's ever needed.

Naomi

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Good luck with all your papers! My nemesis is folding the laundry. I just hate that part. I often have clean laundry sitting in a basket for days getting more and more wrinkled.
Bonnie

heidi said...

mine is washing the floors. i don't mind sweeping so much, but the bucket and mop part i just cannot stand! i always feel so good when it's done for another week.

-heidi

Anonymous said...

Hi! Sweetie, I was missing you and just wanted to read your blog. I am so glad you wrote a new one. My nemesis is picking up after everyonelse. Being mom I supose ishould beused to it but ....well, that's mine. Ilove you bunches. Mom